Below I will maintain an updated list of essential hardware for your Home Automation projects. The goal is to list inexpensive, open and quality hardware here.
The very basics
- Raspberry Pi 4B [Available here]
- Class A2 MircoSD Card [Available here]
Believe me, you really want class A2 for this since we'll be generating A LOT of write cycles and if will fry your regular class SD Card within a few months leaving you in the dark (happened to me more than three times at a very bad time)
- USB ZigBee Debugger (CC2531)
- ZigBee based smart bulbs like Philips Hue or Ikea Tradfri
Sensors sensors sensors!
Xiaomi who is a very well known and big tech hardware company from China has a daughter brand called Aqara. After owning and working with many Aqara producs I can promise you these devices are incredible value for money. I will list some of the products I have first-hand experience with.
- Aqara Human Body Sensor
- Aqara Temperature and Humidity sensor